Design Observation Blog - Roto

Oct 12, 2009 | |


It's not completely clear in this picture, but on Saturday I was biking, my iPod touch fell out my pocket while I was biking, hit the street and cracked the glass all over the top left corner. I have two things to say about this.
1. I looked at some tutorials on how to fix this since the estimated cost of repair is the same as how much I paid for it in the first place. The front plate is glass so an obvious delicate part that can and does break. Knowing that, replacing the glass is really quite complicated task that involves taking the whole iPod apart and at one point meting adhesive with a hair dryer and oven mitts. It's rather obvious this part might break, maybe design it to be replaced...
2. Luckily it's the corner that cracked, it barely affects the touchscreen area and the whole thing is still completely functional. But the ipods are so shiny and smooth and clean, this crack is really bothering me. Far more than the damage to my backpack for example which I think just adds more character. I guess my ipod is just going to have some more character from now on.

0 comments: