sticking around

Jun 13, 2009 | |

I have been debating a great issue in my mind, which is should I stay or should I go. I feel a little stuck and probably have asked a lot of you what you would do so heres my decision: Im going to stay around a little while. The thing that tipped the scale was the seemly escalating violence in Peru and while everything really has been fine, I think it might be a good time to lay low. So this morning I got back from my 9 journey in south peru. we started off going down to Puno to see laketiticaca and the islands of uros. this was quite cool and quite touristy, i did a lot of thinking about how i would not be able to live on a tiny floating island with 6 other families. Then we went to Arequipa, the white city. Saw a little mummy girl and visited a monastary and thought about how being a nun is also not on the list. Went to colca canyon and hotsprings, saw all the condors. Big birds. Saw small children dancing for tourists at 630 in the morning, you guess it, its too cold for e to do that too. 12 hour bus back to cusco which was relatively painless but because of the strikes and closed roads I definately woke up in the middle of the night and we were on a very curvy one lane dirt road in the middle of nowhere. also

peru travel tip 2
if you decide to save yourself a couple of soles by taking a suckier bus at night it wont be heated, brings blankets and lots of them, you might feel like a fool at first pulling out your sleeping bag, but almost all the peruvians are in the know and will pull out theirs in a moment. it is freezing cold. do not forget this, you will cry. i had a sleeping bag multiple layers of clothes a scarf hood up etc and i was still sticking my extra clothes in the bag to try and fight the cold. yes, do that.

0 comments: